Well its been in the news quite a bit lately about the security issues that hackers are taking advantage with the Java software. Check out this article from the National Post re U.S. government recommends removing Java.
UPDATE: JAVA HAS UPDATED THE SOFTWARE BUT EXPERTS ARE STILL SKEPTICAL. You can check out this article from the Globe and Mail for more information.
It is very easy to uninstall Java from Windows 7
1. Go to Start Button
2. Click on Control Panel
3. Choose Programs and click on Uninstall a Program
4. All your programs will self populate. Choose Java by clicking one on it.
5. Click on Uninstall and follow prompts
To Uninstall Java from Windows 8
1. Press the Windows key to bring up the start Menu
2. Right Click on the Java Software
3. Choose Uninstall and follow the prompts.