Computer Tips and Tricks: Add a Password
I was recently asked ” How do I add a password to a word document?” The good news it is really easy to do and works for all MS Office documents.
Add a Password
- Draft a document or open up a document that you would like to password protect.
- Go to File and choose Save As
- In the dialogue box that pops up choose from Tools (you will see it in the lower right h and corner)
- Choose from the pull down menu General Options
- A new box will appear and you can put in your password.
- Click on Ok. You will then be promoted to confirm the password.
- The save the document
You have now added a password to your document. If you decide to add a password make sure that you choose something that is more difficulty than 1234 or the word password if you want real protection.
Remove a Password
If you need to remove the password:
- Open the file in question
- Go to File and Save As
- Click on the Tools pull down menu and choose General Settings
- Delete the password to open and click on ok
- Then save the document.